Saturday, November 7, 2009

The art that dreams are made of

I didn't remember any of my dreams last night, but I think one of them, at least, had to do with making cakes. This probably for two reasons: 1. I fell asleep last night watching Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, which has one of the cutest cake/shoe scenes in it, ever and 2. I had a meeting last night that involved discussion of a cake-related photo shoot.

Anyhoo, my friend Teri posted this pic on my facebook wall this morning, of some graffiti in Atlanta, which in turn inspired me to post some pics of some of my favorite "dreamy" local artists.


The next image is by photographer Xavier Tavera who is one of my absolute faves. Xavier has an exhibit up at the Weisman Art Museum right now that you should go check out.


This one is by local lovely D.C. Ice, who does slightly creepy, but delightfully girlish illustrations and paintings. The image below is one of hers that I own. I also just bought one of her etchings for a friend last night at the Look Art Below Gallery.


Jennifer Davis is a local fave, with her candy-coated illustration, painting and mixed media works. Definitely the stuff dreams are made of.


The image below is one by Miles Mendenhall that I own. His paintings are deliciously scary in a cartoonish sort of way. Miles doesn't have a website but here's a link to an interview with him. ps-sorry for the crappy pic.


I did a post on Alex Kuno last week, but here he is again, just for good measure. Look for Kuno's illustrations to go along with some of my dreams on this blog soon!



And finally, we have Deuce Seven, the graffiti king of Minneapolis. Deuce pops in and out of gallery settings but his real love is painting his "stories" where he's not supposed to.


I'll do this more often, because there are a bazillion dreamy artists that I love in this city, but right now I have to get ready for a full day of photo shoot, an entertaining/wine convention, a fancy dinner at the Ivy Hotel, and finally, a horror convention. Hopefully my day will inspire some decadent nightmares!

No comments:

Post a Comment