Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Grinders

The dream started off with me doing research on cool events going on and also looking for things to put in the l'etoile holiday guide. I came across an event happening in St. Paul on the river, but in an obscure part of it, that involved old fashioned planes called "grinder planes." The purpose of these planes was not to fly, but to "skip" in the water. They were long, torpedo like things with no wings or wheels, just front propellers, with old-timey stuff like teeth and bulls-eyes painted on their noses. I think the idea was that they used to be used in war, but people realized they were kind of useless so they began using them for entertainment. There were maybe 10 refurbished "Grinders" that were being raced down the Mississippi. I in the water at some point and narrowly dodged one.



The scene changed to me being at this older woman's house, who apparently owned the grinder plane show, or the place where it was being held. I was trying to interview her, or maybe come up with a way we could partner. We ended up a talking for hours and hours until dawn. We came up with an idea to pair a vintage flea market on the docks with the grinder plane show. At some point, I dropped a lit cigarette onto her carpet and she had a big meltdown.



That morning she introduced me to all the war veteran Grinder pilots, who were all super puffy and old -- like in their 70s old. She was going around hugging them all and they were all resistant and she'd pick them up sort of, and hug them, but they were stiff as boards.



The scene changed to a busy cafeteria setting where I was having lunch with Jahna. I was telling her about the vintage flea market idea and she was getting really excited. She was like "Well, I could really use one of those big beers from the State Fair. Why don't we go there next week to talk more about it." and I was like "yeah, ok" but then after I left I remembered there's no possible way the State Fair was still going. I looked in the Yellow Pages phone book and there was an ad for a special 1-day only edition of the State Fair on November 16th. I then got worried because I didn't have a lot of money and couldn't afford to take Jahna to the State Fair and tried to think of other places where we could get big plastic cups of beer. I thought maybe I could tell her the State Fair was closed and she wouldn't know, but then I read that there was a big designer sample sale going on at it and I realized there was no way I could get out of it.



The scene changed to me finding a Playgirl magazine in the bedside table drawer of the woman who put on the Grinder's show. I was looking at it and was super surprised to see all the photos were of naked guys with girls with them -- I assumed it would be all gay guys being gay. I was looking at the photo spreads and they were all realistically hand-drawn in colored pencil. I realized that I was leaving big, conspicuous, gray finger prints all over the magazine and got scared people would know I'd been looking at it. I tried to wipe them all off and was trying to hide the evidence before the lady got back.



The next part featured me looking in a bathroom mirror and noticing all these bright, blood red squiggly lines all over my neck. I lifted up my shirt and they were all over my body. It looked like blood was running all over me but it was dry. I was starting to panic and then I woke up.


Obvs I'm not a boy, but you get the jist.

No comments:

Post a Comment